29 November 2008

Portuguese Fish: Codfish

Codfish is a Portuguese traditional dish, specially during Christmas.
Most codfish we find in Portuguese supermarkets is imported from Filand and Norway.
This fish is very versatile, it can be cooked in countless ways.
I like to buy it dry and salted:




Before cooking salted codfish it has to be in water for, at least, 24 hours.
Some people use half milk and half water, I use only water:



During December I will post some of my favorite codfish recipes.
See you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a bacalau dish in Lisbon and it was good. I was told there are many ways of eating the bacalau.

Anonymous said...

Interesting! In galicia coldfish is also a tradicional christmas food. In christmas we use to eat coldfish with coliflower and potatoes in paprika sauce.
Galicia and portugal are so close..