Tomatoes Soup with Boiled Eggs is a very appreciated soup by Portuguese, it´s both tasty and healthy.
Portugal produces tomatoes in different regions so you can find many typical food recipes using this vegetable. It´s also very appreciated as Jam.
To cook Tomatoes Soup I use this recipe of a Portuguese website and, so far, it´s my favorite one. This is how it´s done:
~ 1 Onion
~ 2 Garlic cloves
~ 1 kg peeled Tomatoes
~ 400 gr Potatoes
~ 2 dl Olive oil
~ 2 leafs Bay Laurel
~ Salt q.b
~ 1 teaspoon Sugar
~ 6 eggs
~ Vinegar q.b
~ 1 liter Water
1. Peel vegetables, cut the onion, garlic and tomatoes in small pieces. Cut potatoes in halfs.
2. In a soup pot, put the onion, garlic, bay laurel leafs and the olive oil. Take it to medium stove for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and let it cook for another 5 minutes mixing well.
3. Add 1 liter water, potatoes and salt. Cook 15 minutes.
4. Remove laurel leafs, put the vegetables in a blender and reduce to soup.
5. In a separate pan, boil the eggs in water seasoned with salt and 2 tablespoons of vinegar.
6. Serve each plate of soup with one egg and decorate with fresh parsley.
Tomatoes soup can also be served with cubes of toasted or fried bread.