27 April 2010

Shrimp & Fruit Cocktail



A decade ago, in a birthday party, a friend taught me how to do this Shrimp & Fruit Cocktail recipe. I only prepare this Cocktail in special occasions, carefully choosing the best and fresher ingredients. I use good quality frozen shrimps that I buy in Olhão market. Olhão is a city, 8 Km from Faro, well known by it´s fresh Seafood diversity and quality. I prefer Pineapple from our Portuguese island "Açores" than imported Abacaxi and I use Avocatos and Lemons from Algarve.
I´ve adapted the sauce to be less fatty: I add water from shrimp boil and use my Homemade Olive Oil Mayonnaise Recipe.

Ingredients for 4 serves:

~ 3 Pineapple Slices (cut in cubes)
~ 4 Avocado / Butter Pears (cut in halfs)
~ 400 gr Boiled Shrimps (cut in 2 pieces)

For Sauce:

~ 8 tablespoons of Fresh Mayonnaise
~ 2 tablespoons ketchup
~ 1/2 lemon´s juice
Optional: water of boiling shrimps*


1. Boil shrimps in salted water. Remove shell, clean (devine) and cut them in 2 pieces.
* Reserve 6/8 tablespoons of the water you used to boil shrimps and add to the sauce to make it less fatty.

2. Cut each Avocado in half, remove pulp and cut it in small slices.

3. Mix pineapple cubes with avocados and shrimps. Prepare the sauce mixing all ingredients and add to fruit and shrimps. Mix well and fill the Avocado´s peel with this mixture. Decorate with fresh Parsley or Coriander.

I like serving this Cocktail recipe fresh, specially in Summer. I prepare in advance and let it rest in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
Just Delicious.

1 comment:

Relationships said...

I don't eat shrimp...but your recipe does sound very unique and tasty~
Thanks so much for sharing it with us~